The 2014 New Mexico Magazine Photography Contest
New Mexico Magazine is known for its stunning photography of the land and its people. Each year, we invite you, our readers, to submit their favorite photos of the state and you always amaze us.
This year’s photography contest will open for entries Aug. 20, 2014. Deadline for entries is Oct. 31, 2014.
Here are some key points to know about our contest:
- The cost is $25 for the first three submitted images. Each additional image is $5.
- Winners will be published in the February 2015 issue, available on newsstands in mid-January 2015.
The 2014 judges include:
- Reid Callanan, Director, Santa Fe Photographic Workshops
- Daniel Kosharek, Photo Archivist, Palace of the Governors
- Dave Herndon, Editor-in-Chief, New Mexico Magazine
- Edie Dillman, Art Director, New Mexico Magazine
All decisions made by the judges are final. New Mexico Magazine shall determine winner eligibility in its sole and absolute discretion.
Finalists will be selected on or about Nov. 14 and asked, by email, to provide high resolution files for publication by Nov. 21.
The New Mexico Magazine Photography Contest is about presenting the beauty of New Mexico through photographs. It is an amateur contest and not open to professionals who derive more than 50% of their income from photography.
Digital photography has changed the way in which images can be made. Yes, you can darken, lighten and enhance the color in your photographs. You can change contrast, burn and dodge your images, and convert them to black and white. You can use digital software to enhance texture, clarity, ambience, and mood to further engage the viewer.
However, our contest is not about presenting fictionalized images—those photographs that are created by the addition of pieces from other images or the combination of several photographs, or enhanced in such a way that the image appears outside of reality. New Mexico is already so incredibly beautiful that we consider this type of image-making contrary to the spirit of this contest.
Who Can Enter
With the following exceptions, anyone can enter the New Mexico Magazine Photography Contest: Photographers who derive more than 50% their annual income from photography, employees of New Mexico Magazine, the New Mexico Tourism Department, and prize sponsors.
By submitting images to the contest, photographers grant New Mexico Magazine and all other sponsors the right to publish the images in their publications, websites, email newsletters and any promotional material (i.e. press releases or advertising) and commercial products, including but not limited to wall calendars, without payment.
A Grand Prize will be awarded to the best overall entry for the quality of the body of work submitted. First, second, and third prizes will be awarded in each of the following categories:
- Landscapes: Our epic land, including waterscapes and weather.
- Only in New Mexico: Architecture, events, icons of New Mexico that express the uniqueness of our state.
- People: Portraits, people at work and play.
- Animals: all creatures great and small.
- Details: A closer focus on New Mexico life.